By Lisa Meaney • Warners, New York
2006 New York State Fair Culinary Grand Competition - Third Place
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbs. water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 mashed bananas
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbs. vanilla
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, then gradually add to the sugar mixture and stir.
- Mix baking soda and water together, add to the batter along with the buttermilk, bananas, nuts and vanilla.
- Pour into four 9” round cake pans that have been buttered and floured.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake tester indicates the cake is done in the center. Let cool.
When cake has cooled, top with whipped cream or your favorite homemade or store bought frosting.
In New York State, our competitive spirit is a big part of who we are – and few places is it more evident than at the Fair. Each year, participants cater to their competitive side by entering in culinary and cooking competitions spanning a full range of categories for nearly every interest and age group.
Whether it’s a cash prize, blue ribbon or good old-fashioned bragging rights at stake, find out more on how you can enter!