Nearly 50 Food Truck Vendors from Across New York Create Largest Field Ever for the Event
The 2018 Great New York State Fair Food Truck Competition will feature 18 new food trucks this year, as part of the largest-ever field of 47 trucks that will roll in from across Upstate New York to take part in the two-day event. Nearly two dozen mobile vendors will ring Chevy Court Saturday, September 1 and Sunday, September 2 to serve samples of their best entrees made with New York State ingredients. Twenty-four vendors will compete Saturday with the remaining 23 battling on Sunday. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day.
Food truck operators bring their best entrees to the competition. They use primarily New York State products. Fairgoers go from truck to truck, purchasing entrée samples for $3 each. Each fairgoer may cast one vote for the entrée they like best by texting the name of the food truck to a special phone number that will be posted at the event. The food item with the most votes will be declared the People’s Choice winner. Meantime, a panel of judges will sample each entrée to decide the Judges’ Choice winner. The daily winners of the People’s Choice and Judges’ Choice awards will receive a $750 gift card to a food or grocery provider. The People’s Choice runner-up receives a portable generator.
In 2017, the popular event expanded to two days. For the first time, one vendor won both the Judges’ Choice and People’s Choice awards. Tonzi’s Catering Company of Auburn won with its bacon jalapeno macaroni and cheese fritter. The following day, Gabriella’s Farm to Fork in Ithaca won the Judge’s Choice, while the public vote went to the Meatball Truck from Rochester, the second People’s Choice win in a row for the Rochester food truck. Tonzi’s returns this year to defend its title.
“This is one of the very best events we put on at the Fair. People love it and it helps us promote New York agriculture in a fun and exciting way. This is our largest field ever and there are many new vendors here. There will be something delicious for everyone at this year’s competition,” said Waffner.
Competitors come from across Upstate NY, including places such as Amherst, Canandaigua, Ovid, Rome, Sidney and Middleburgh. This year’s field includes 18 mobile food vendors who are competing for the first time:
- Byblos Street Grill of Syracuse, item to be determined
- Sweet Melody's of East Amherst, Blueberry Greek Yogurt Gelato
- Birdsong Café of Manlius, Lavender Lemonade
- Pig Vycious BBQ of Endicott, Sweet Caroline
- Papa Gallo of Fayetteville, Chorizo Flautas w/ Mexican Street Corn
- Juicy Freeze of Syracuse, Strawberry Smoothie
- Potato Skin Express of East Syracuse, Potato Skin
- The Snortin Boar of Liverpool, Swineapple Ring
- Donny’s Dogs of Syracuse, Hofmann Hot Dog w/ Meat Sauce
- Abbott's Frozen Custard of Rochester, Caramel Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Sassy Taco of Syracuse, Apple Pie Tostada
- 3.21 Salads of Oswego, item to be determined
- Natural Vibes Smoothie Bar of Syracuse, Deep Fried Candied Yam
- Roc City Sammich of Rochester, Southwest Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast Slider
- The Hen and The Hound of Middleburgh, Wood Fired Pizza
- Kona Ice, item to be determined
- Skippy’s of Liverpool, Ice Cream Nachos
- Potatoes and Molasses of Skaneateles with an entry to be determined
The complete list of competitors can be found here.
Taste NY sponsors the event. Taste NY is Governor Cuomo’s initiative, created in 2013, to promote the best agricultural products grown and made in New York State.
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 22 to September 3, 2018. The Fair's mission, reflected in its theme, "FIND YOUR GREAT," is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, on Snapchat at nysfair and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at email@example.com.