FunkFest is returning to the Great New York State Fair’s Experience Stage for 2019 with performances from national recording artists, along with a new second day of performances of music from around the world, called World Beat. The festival will take place at the Experience Stage, located on the western edge of the Fairgrounds. World Beat is on Thursday, Aug. 22, followed by FunkFest on Friday, Aug. 23. FunkFest is produced in association with Syracuse JAMS, a non-profit arts organization, and takes place as part of the Chevrolet Music Festival
“We’re excited about this expansion of FunkFest with our partners at Syracuse JAMS as we continue to broaden all aspects of the Fair to include all of the cultures of New York,” said Troy Waffner, Fair Director.
The new World Beat show on Aug. 22 will highlight cultural performances by both local and international acts, including:
- 5:00 p.m. - International Music DJ
- 5:30 p.m. - Cuerda de Viento (Traditional Cuban music)
- 6:00 p.m. - Karen Don Dancers (Southeast Asian ethnic unity dance)
- 6:30 p.m. - Upstate NY Cambodian Band (Traditional Cambodian music)
- 7:45 p.m. - Akuma Roots (Africa-meets-American reggae/funk)
Friday’s FunkFest lineup includes:
- 12:00 p.m. - DJ Showcase
- 12:30 p.m. - Various Track Acts
- 2:00 p.m. - Shawn Seals Experience (Neo-funk soul)
- 3:00 p.m. - The Brownskin Band (Hip soul)
- 4:00 p.m. - United Praise (Modern gospel)
- 5:00 p.m. - Ener-G (R&B showband)
- 6:30 p.m. - The Raydio Show featuring Arnell Carmichael (R&B, pop and funk)
- 8:00 p.m. - Lakeside featuring Capt. Mark Wood (R&B and funk)
The Raydio Show featuring Arnell Carmichael brings back the biggest soul hits of that band, including “You Can’t Change That” and “A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do).” Lakeside featuring Capt. Mark Wood will perform many of their top 10 R&B chart hits, including the band’s biggest single, “Fantastic Voyage.”
All performances on the Experience Stage are sponsored by Chevrolet.
Founded in 1841, the Great New York State Fair is America’s third largest state fair. The Fair showcases the best of New York agriculture, provides top-quality entertainment and is a key piece of Governor Cuomo’s CNY Rising strategy of growing the Central New York economy through tourism. Fair attendance is up more than 40% since the beginning of more than $120 million in investments, with 1.27 million people attending the Fair in 2018. The 2019 Fair runs from August 21 to September 2. Information about the Fair can be found here.
The New York State Fairgrounds is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available here. Find the Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, on Snapchat at nysfair and enjoy photos from the Fair on Flickr. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at email@example.com.