The 2021 Great New York State Fair will offer rapid COVID-19 tests and single-shot vaccinations free of charge to any fairgoer. The effort is offered in cooperation with the New York State Department of Health.
“We are doing everything we can to ensure that the 2021 Fair is as safe as possible. We’ve all waited two years to enjoy the Fair and the safety of fairgoers is our number one priority,” said Troy Waffner, Fair Director.
- Tests and vaccinations will be offered in the Art & Home Center from 11 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. each day.
- The single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be offered along with the Pfizer vaccine for those needing their second shot.
- Test results should be available while patients wait.
- The Fair will also host a separate testing center for vendors and their employees, contractors and staff members.
- The Fair will encourage unvaccinated staff, contractors and vendors to be tested before opening day.
Actions the Fair has taken to increase safety include:
- Eliminating cash sales at the gates and in parking lots to reduce close contact
- Moving large concerts to a much larger area to increase comfort and reduce close contact
- Offering hand sanitizer and masks at Guest Services booths
- Continuing to sanitize and deep clean high-traffic areas and surfaces
- Spacing Midway rides and vendor booths more widely
- Implementing state and local guidance to require masks for unvaccinated people and masks for all fairgoers inside Fair buildings
The Fair complies with all state and local health guidance and will notify the public of any changes.
Founded in 1841, the Great New York State Fair is America’s third largest state fair. The Fair showcases the best of New York agriculture, provides top-quality entertainment and is a key piece of Governor Cuomo’s CNY Rising strategy of growing the Central New York economy through tourism. Fair attendance is up more than 46% since the beginning of more than $120 million in investments, with 1.33 million people attending the Fair in 2019. The 2021 Fair runs from August 20 to September 6.
The New York State Fairgrounds is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. Find the Great New York State Fair on its website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and enjoy photos from the Fair on Flickr. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair to firstname.lastname@example.org.